Great Lakes Bathymetry
NOAA/NGDC Great Lakes bathymetric data
Bathymetry of Lakes Michigan, Erie, Saint Clair, Ontario and Huron has been compiled
as a component of a NOAA project to rescue Great Lakes lake floor geological and geophysical
data and make it more accessible. Lake Superior bathymetry partially completed. The
present contours and grids have been partially derived and completely compiled here
at NOAA's National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC) using a variety of sources of data
including the NOS Hydrographic data base and the Canadian Hydrographic Service (CHS)
smooth sheets. This project is a cooperative effort between investigators at the NGDC,
the NOAA Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory and the Canadian Hydrographic
Service. Bathymetric data used for this project have been collected from the Great
Lakes in support of nautical charting for at least 150 years by the US Army Corp.
of Engineers (before 1970), the NOAA National Ocean Service (after 1970), and the
Cite this dataset when used as a source.
|Search and Download
- OCG WMS service for Great Lakes Bathymetric contours
- ASCII xyz
- ASCII raster
- GRD98 binary raster format
|| Distributor information not available
|| No point of contact available for this dataset
Documentation links not available.
- DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department
- Canadian Hydrographic Service
- University of Colorado, Cooperative Institute of Research in Environmental Sciences
- University of Michigan, Cooperative Institute for Limnology nd Ecosystems Research
Publisher information not available.
|Dataset Progress Status
|| Under development
|Data Update Frequency:
|| As needed
||The purpose of this data is for scientific research, commercial exploration, fishing,
and policy & decision-making.These data are NOT intended to be used for navigation.
Nautical charts produced and certified by NOAA should be used for navigational purposes.
For more information on NOAA"s nautical charts go to NOAA"s Office of Coast Survey
website at: http://chartmaker.ncd.noaa.gov/
||1800-01-01 to 2000-01-01
|Spatial Bounding Box Coordinates:
|Spatial Coverage Map:
- Earth Science > Hydrosphere > Snow/Ice > Lake Ice
- Earth Science > Hydrosphere > Surface Water > Lakes
- Earth Science > Hydrosphere > Surface Water > Water Depth
- Earth Science > Oceans > Bathymetry/Seafloor Topography > Abyssal Hills/Plains
- Earth Science > Oceans > Bathymetry/Seafloor Topography > Bathymetry
- Earth Science > Oceans > Bathymetry/Seafloor Topography > Continental Margins
- Earth Science > Oceans > Bathymetry/Seafloor Topography > Water Depth
- Earth Science > Paleoclimate > Ocean/Lake Records > Lake Levels
- DEM > Digital Elevation Model
- bathymetric contours
- bathymetric grids
- North and Central America > Great Lakes
- North and Central America > Michigan, Lake
- North and Central America > Erie, Lake
- North and Central America > Saint Clair, Lake
- North and Central America > Ontario, Lake
- North and Central America > Huron, Lake
- Continent > North America > United States of America > Great Lakes
| Use Constraints
|| No constraint information available
Online data is free for download.
|| Lineage statement not available.
Metadata Last Modified: 2015-09-03
For questions about the information on this page, please email: