Index to Marine and Lacustrine Geological Samples (IMLGS)Alternate Views: Get Data, FAQ,
|Index to Marine and Lacustrine Geological Samples (IMLGS)|
|The Index to Marine and Lacustrine Geological Samples (IMLGS) contains inventory and basic lithology, texture, and age information for geologic samples of sediment and rock from the seafloor and lakebeds archived by approximately twenty oceanographic institutions and government agencies, in the U.S., Canada, the United Kingdom, and Germany. Most samples are available for further study, on request from the individual repository. Listings from the file include institutional contact information. Data are prepared by the sample Curator and include ship, cruise, sample id, latitude/longitude, water depth, date of sample collection, sampling device, storage method, core diameter/length and interval within core (if applicable). Sample descriptions, primary and secondary lithology and texture or rock type, mineralogy, other components, remarks and weathering information, age, province, and principal investigator are included for some samples. Links are provided to related data and images at NGDC, partner institutions, and other sources including SESAR and R2R. The IMLGS includes over 500,000 records describing approximately 199,000 discrete sea floor and lakebed cores, grabs, dredges, and drill holes worldwide, as of October 2013. The IMLGS was designed by representatives of the curatorial facilities in cooperation with NGDC through a series of meetings sponsored by the National Science Foundation (NSF), beginning in 1977. The Curators Consortium meets biennially, and NSF continues to support coding of data from some repositories into the IMLGS.|
|Get the Data|
|Access||Format(s)||Distributor(s) / Contact Info||Instructions / Constraints|
- Web page of information about the database including links to full documentation and free data download from NGDC.
- Text interface to search and download data from the database and access related links.
- ArcGIS interactive map interface to search and download data from the database and access related links.
- WMS Getcapabilities
- Web Map Service interface to display sample locations.
- Web Feature Service Getcapabilities
- Web Feature Service interface to query database.
- Compressed Keyhole Markup Language (KMZ) file including links to the database and free data download from NGDC.
- Offsite Linked Data interface for Semantic Web access to the database, offered cooperatively with R2R.
- Format version: UTF-8
- Format specification: American Standard Code for Information Interchange (ASCII) text format.
- Format version: 1.3.0
- Format specification: Open Geospatial Consortium Web Map Service
- Format version: 1.1.0
- Format specification: Open Geospatial Consortium Web Feature Service
- Format version: 2.1
- Format specification: Keyhole Markup Language Compressed File
- In addition to web services and online browse and download of ASCII data and information from the IMLGS database, and links to browse and download related images and analyses, data is also available in KML form, as Linked Data (via R2R) and in other custom formats, including shapefiles on request.
- Format version: (version is unknown)
Carla J. Moore
DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department of Commerce
Contact Data Center
7:30 - 5:00 Mountain
- free for online download
- Use Limitation
- Cite as: Curators of Marine and Lacustrine Geological Samples Consortium (2013): Index to Marine and Lacustrine Geological Samples (IMLGS). National Geophysical Data Center, NOAA. doi:10.7289/V5H41PB8 [access date]
- Produced by the NOAA National Geophysical Data Center. Not subject to copyright protection within the United States.
- Legal Constraints
- Security Constraints