The NGDC Seafloor Sediment Grain Size DatabaseAlternate Views: Get Data, FAQ,
|The NGDC Seafloor Sediment Grain Size Database|
|The NGDC Seafloor Sediment Grain Size Database contains particle size data for over 17,000 seafloor samples worldwide. The file was begun by NGDC in 1976 in response to a need by the Outer Continental Shelf Environmental Assessment Program (OCSEAP) for a detailed, digital file of textural analyses. Data are from OCSEAP studies, academic institutions, environmental baseline studies conducted under contract to the Bureau of Land Management under the Outer Continental Shelf (OCS) Program, and from laboratory reports generated by the U.S. Naval Oceanographic Office. Data include collecting institution, ship, cruise, sample id, latitude/longitude, date of collection, water depth, sampling device, method of analysis, sample weight, sampled interval, raw weight percentages of sediment, within a given phi range. Some samples also have percentages of total gravel, sand, silt, clay, and statistical measurements such as mean, median, skewness, kurtosis, and standard deviation of grain size.|
|Get the Data|
|Access||Format(s)||Distributor(s) / Contact Info||Instructions / Constraints|
- Dataset information
- Web page of information about the database including links to full documentation and links to download data.
- Search interface
- Text interface to subset and download data in delimited form.
- Data set discovery via the NGDC Marine Geology Inventory
- Text interface to discover data sets containing grain size analyses archived by NGDC, including data not in the 073 format/grain size database.
- Format version: UTF-8
- Format specification: American Standard Code for Information Interchange (ASCII) text format.
Marine Geology Data Manager
DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department of Commerce
7:30 - 5:00 Mountain
- free online download
- Use Limitation
- Cite as: National Geophysical Data Center (1976): The NGDC Seafloor Sediment Grain Size Database. National Geophysical Data Center, NOAA, doi:10.7289/V5G44N6W [date of access]
- Please cite the originator of the data set, the date downloaded, and the National Geophysical Data Center, NOAA, as the source of the data.
- Produced by the NOAA National Geophysical Data Center. Not subject to copyright protection within the United States.
- Legal Constraints
- Security Constraints