|The NOAA and MMS Marine Minerals Bibliography|
|From 1983 through 1992, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) National Geophysical Data Center (NGDC) compiled a comprehensive, computerized bibliography of offshore marine mineral deposits as a cooperative effort with the Ocean Minerals and Energy Division of the NOAA National Ocean Service, and the Office of International Activities and Marine Minerals (INTERMAR) of the Minerals Management Service (MMS). In October of 1992, the NOAA and MMS Marine Minerals Bibliography (MMBIB) was released as a compact disc. The bibliography includes over 17,000 citations of references to sea floor deposits of ferromanganese (polymetallic) nodules and crusts, placers/heavy minerals, phosphorites, and polymetallic sulfides published from 1831 through 1990. References include key word categories indicating geographic area and type of study conducted. Subject key words are annotated with "general" or "technical" to indicate whether a subject was mentioned briefly, or was explored in detail. Key words also include the names of each mineral and each element mentioned in the article. Geographic keys include ocean or sea name, numeric designators for the ocean/sea, the name of any pertinent geographic feature, US exclusive economic zones (e.g. East Coast), and geologic setting. The NOAA and MMS Marine Minerals CD-ROM Data Set, produced by NGDC and partially funded by INTERMAR, contains the entire NGDC Marine Minerals Bibliography and Geochemical Database and several data files compiled by other organizations. The bibliography is searchable on-line on NGDC’s web server. The NOAA and MMS Marine Minerals Bibliography and geochemical database was incorporated by the International Seabed Authority (ISA) into their online compilation, which uses the NGDC MMBIB identification system for references.|
|Get the Data|
|Access||Format(s)||Distributor(s) / Contact Info||Instructions / Constraints|
- Web page of information about the database including links to full documentation and free data download from NGDC.
- Search the bibliography by multiple criteria.
- Format version:
- Format specification:
American Standard Code for Information Interchange (ASCII) text format.
- free online download
- Use Limitation
- Produced by the NOAA National Geophysical Data Center. Not subject to copyright protection within the United States.
- Legal Constraints
- Citation Recommendation: Cite as: Warnken, Robin R., Virden, William T., and Carla J. Moore (1992). The NOAA and MMS Marine Minerals Bibliography. National Geophysical Data Center, NOAA. doi:10.7289/V53X84KN
- Access to this dataset is unrestricted.
- Use Limitation
- While every effort has been made to ensure that these data are accurate and reliable within the limits of the current state of the art, NOAA cannot assume liability for any damages caused by any errors or omissions in the data, nor as a result of the failure of the data to function on a particular system. NOAA makes no warranty, expressed or implied, nor does the fact of distribution constitute such a warranty.
- Security Constraints