Marine Geology Reports in the NGDC Archive
Historic Marine Geologic data reports available are from academia, government, and
non-U.S. sources. These reports were originally in paper or film form and were scanned
to Portable Document Format (PDF) to enable online browse/download and archive in
digital form. The following are examples of the types of analyses of sediment or rock
from the ocean floor or lakebeds worldwide which may be included in individual data
reports: descriptions of composition and/or lithology, grain size and other physical
properties, mineralogy, geochemistry, paleontology, petrology, paleomagnetism and
acoustics of sediment. They may also contain low-resolution photographs of cores or
dredges, or the ocean floor. Reports are searchable via the Marine Geology Digital
Inventory and may also be linked to/discoverable via the Index to Marine and Lacustrine
Geological Samples (IMLGS). Scanned images of most paper data reports are available
to view online, however, some Copyrighted reports contributed through the World Data
Center System are available for on-site inspection only. For these reports, the geologic
inventory provides links to the contributing institution for ordering.
Cite this dataset when used as a source.
- Scanned Marine Geology Reports in the NGDC Archive
|Search and Download
ArcGIS interactive map interface to search and download data.
Web forms interface
Web forms interface to search and download data.
Geology Inventory WMS
Web Map Service interface to display data locations in the Marine Geology Inventory.
||DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NCEI > National Centers for Environmental Information, NESDIS, NOAA,
U.S. Department of Commerce
| Point of Contact
||Marine Geology Data Manager
DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NCEI > National Centers for Environmental Information, NESDIS, NOAA,
U.S. Department of Commerce
Publisher's landing page
Information about the data set, all access options, and complete documentation.
Web page of information about the data set with links to download data and documentation
Information about the Marine Geology Data Archive at NCEI.
- Multiple Investigators and projects
- National Centers for Environmental Information, NOAA
- publication: 1976-01-01
- revision: 2015-06-01
|Data Presentation Form:
|| Digital image
|Dataset Progress Status
|Data Update Frequency:
|| Irregular -
Additions as new reports are received.
||Many data reports were received as paper copies, on 35-mm or 16-mm microfilm, or microfiche.
All paper reports have been scanned to PDF and some microfilm reports are also available
as PDF, however some reports are obtainable only offline in their original form.
||Marine Geological and Geophysical Research and Environmental Studies
| Use Limitations
- Please cite the originator of the data set, the date downloaded, and the National
Centers for Environmental Information, NOAA, as the source of the data.
- Produced by the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information. Not subject to
copyright protection within the United States.
||1930-01-01 to 2013-11-26
|Spatial Reference System:
|Spatial Bounding Box Coordinates:
|Spatial Coverage Map:
- Scientific archives
- Electronic records
- Ocean bottom
- Submarine geology
- Marine sediments
- Marine geology
- Sea-floor characteristics
- EARTH SCIENCE > Oceans > Marine Sediments > Geotechnical Properties
- EARTH SCIENCE > Oceans > Marine Sediments > Sediment Chemistry
- EARTH SCIENCE > Oceans > Marine Sediments > Sediment Composition
- EARTH SCIENCE > Oceans > Marine Sediments > Sedimentary Textures
- EARTH SCIENCE > Paleoclimate > Ocean/Lake Records > Boreholes
- EARTH SCIENCE > Paleoclimate > Ocean/Lake Records > Isotopes
- EARTH SCIENCE > Paleoclimate > Ocean/Lake Records > Microfossils
- EARTH SCIENCE > Paleoclimate > Ocean/Lake Records > Paleomagnetic Data
- EARTH SCIENCE > Paleoclimate > Ocean/Lake Records > Sediments
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geochemistry > Major Elements
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geochemistry > Minor Elements
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geochemistry > Trace Elements
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geomagnetism > Paleomagnetism
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Rocks/Minerals > Age Determinations
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Rocks/Minerals > Igneous Rocks
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Rocks/Minerals > Metamorphic Rocks
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Rocks/Minerals > Sedimentary Rocks
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Rocks/Minerals > Sediments
- EARTH SCIENCE > OCEANS > Marine Sediments > Stratigraphic Sequence
- EARTH SCIENCE > PALEOCLIMATE > Ocean/Lake Records > Stratigraphic Sequence
- Sea Floor Photographs
- DATA ANALYSIS AND VISUALIZATION > GEOGRAPHIC INFORMATION SYSTEMS > WEB-BASED GEOGRAPHIC
- DATA MANAGEMENT/DATA HANDLING > DATA SEARCH AND RETRIEVAL
- DATA ANALYSIS AND VISUALIZATION > VISUALIZATION/IMAGE PROCESSING
- WDC/GEOPHYSICS, BOULDER > World Data Center for Geophysics, Boulder
- DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NCEI > National Centers for Environmental Information, NESDIS, NOAA,
U.S. Department of Commerce
- In Situ Ocean-based Platforms > SHIPS
- In Situ/Laboratory Instruments > Corers > CORING DEVICES
- In Situ/Laboratory Instruments > Samplers > DREDGING DEVICES
- In Situ/Laboratory Instruments > Samplers > Grabbers/Traps/Collectors > GRAB SAMPLERS
- In Situ/Laboratory Instruments > Corers > ROCK CORERS
- In Situ/Laboratory Instruments > Corers > SEDIMENT CORERS
- SOLID EARTH > CRUST
- GEOGRAPHIC REGION > GLOBAL OCEAN
- VERTICAL LOCATION > SEA FLOOR
| Use Constraints
- While every effort has been made to ensure that these data are accurate and reliable
within the limits of the current state of the art, NOAA cannot assume liability for
any damages caused by any errors or omissions in the data, nor as a result of the
failure of the data to function on a particular system. NOAA makes no warranty, expressed
or implied, nor does the fact of distribution constitute such a warranty.
| Access Constraints
- Access to this dataset is unrestricted.
||lineage prior to transfer to NCEI is unknown.
| Processing Environment
||Native Dataset Environment: ASCII text
Metadata Last Modified: 2015-06-24
For questions about the information on this page, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org