BLM/OCS Southern California Outer Continental Shelf Environmental Baseline Studies
sample locations in study area
Data in this file were produced by Science Applications, Inc., prime contractor on
the Bureau of Land Management/Outer Continental Shelf - Southern California Studies
(BLM/OCS). Data consist of six data files (benthic sediment characteristics, benthic
sediment hydrocarbons, intertidal sediment hydrocarbons, intertidal sediment trace
metals, benthic sediment trace metals, and intertidal sediment characteristics). Data
are derived from 801 grab and box core samples from the sea floor offshore Southern
California. Original documentation have been scanned as images to a .PDF document.
The data were received on August 19, 1977. Some documentation has been transcribed
to an ASCII readme file. Additional data codes and documentation are in poor, extremely
hard to read condition. There are known problems in these data files, including truncation
of records past the 80th column in the first file (Benthic Sediment Characteristics).
Other problems exist in device codes and analyses that were unable to be resolved
by multiple exchanges with the contributors. Additional problems may exist, including
deviations from the specified formats.
Cite this dataset when used as a source.
|Search and Download
- ASCII (Version: UTF-8)
- tar.gz (Version: unknown)
||DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NCEI > National Centers for Environmental Information, NESDIS, NOAA,
U.S. Department of Commerce
| Point of Contact
||Marine Geology Data Manager
DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NCEI > National Centers for Environmental Information, NESDIS, NOAA,
U.S. Department of Commerce
Publisher's landing page
Information about the data set, all access options, and complete documentation.
Data set information summary, followed by record format and field contents for all
National Geophysical Data Center (1976): The NGDC Seafloor Sediment Grain Size Database.
National Geophysical Data Center, NOAA. doi:10.7289/V5G44N6W
Information about the Marine Geology Data Archive at NCEI.
NOAA/NCEI Marine Geology WAF
- John Wilson
Science Applications, Inc.
- National Centers for Environmental Information, NOAA
- publication: 1977-08-10
- revision: 1977-08-10
|Data Presentation Form:
|| Digital table - digital representation of facts or figures systematically displayed,
especially in columns
|Dataset Progress Status
|Data Update Frequency:
|| Not planned -
Completed data set, no additions planned.
||Due to quality concerns, these data were not added to the historic NGDC Seafloor Sediment
Grain Size Database, and are only available in their original form. Vertical extent
is not known, continental shelf
| Use Limitations
- Please cite the originator of the data set, the date downloaded, and the National
Centers for Environmental Information, NOAA, as the source of the data.
- Produced by the NOAA National Centers for Environmental Information. Not subject to
copyright protection within the United States.
||1975-9-8 to 1976-5-7
|Spatial Reference System:
|Spatial Bounding Box Coordinates:
|Spatial Coverage Map:
- Scientific archives
- Electronic records
- Ocean bottom
- Submarine geology
- Marine sediments
- Marine geology
- Sea-floor characteristics
- EARTH SCIENCE > OCEANS > Marine Sediments
- EARTH SCIENCE > Oceans > Marine Sediments > Sediment Chemistry
- EARTH SCIENCE > Oceans > Marine Sediments > Sediment Composition
- EARTH SCIENCE > Oceans > Marine Sediments > Sedimentation
- EARTH SCIENCE > Oceans > Marine Sediments > Geotechnical Properties
- EARTH SCIENCE > Biosphere > Aquatic Ecosystems > Benthic Habitat
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Rocks/Minerals/Crystals > Trace Elements
- CIESIN > Environmental Protection > Resource Management
- CIESIN > Environmental Protection > Environmental Monitoring
- WDC/GEOPHYSICS, BOULDER > World Data Center for Geophysics, Boulder
- DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NCEI > National Centers for Environmental Information, NESDIS, NOAA,
U.S. Department of Commerce
- In Situ Ocean-based Platforms > SHIPS
- In Situ/Laboratory Instruments > Corers > CORING DEVICES
- In Situ/Laboratory Instruments > Corers > SEDIMENT CORERS
- OCEAN > PACIFIC OCEAN
- VERTICAL LOCATION > SEA FLOOR
- OCS > Outer Continental Shelf Program
- OCS-SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
| Use Constraints
- While every effort has been made to ensure that these data are accurate and reliable
within the limits of the current state of the art, NOAA cannot assume liability for
any damages caused by any errors or omissions in the data, nor as a result of the
failure of the data to function on a particular system. NOAA makes no warranty, expressed
or implied, nor does the fact of distribution constitute such a warranty.
| Access Constraints
- Access to this dataset is unrestricted.
||Grain size analyses from this data set were not reformatted to the 073 format for
addition to the NGDC Seafloor Sediment Grain Size Database due to quality concerns.
Data were contributed by the originator to NOAA's former National Oceanographic Data
Center (NODC) and may be part of a larger compilation archived as oceanographic data
by NCEI. Data were received in September of 1977 on nine track magnetic tape in EBCDIC
form as five files of 130 character records blocked to 2600 characters per block.
The tape contained 2, 580 records, there were 1,066 sample header records, but all
but 801 were duplicated. Francis Mitchel of NODC noted on transmission that the data
were probably not usable.
| Processing Environment
||Native Dataset Environment: ASCII text
Metadata Last Modified: 2015-10-05
For questions about the information on this page, please email: email@example.com