Magnetic Field Calculator
The Magnetic Field Calculator will calculate the total magnetic field, including components
(declination, inclination, horizontal intensity, northerly intensity, easterly intensity,
vertical intensity) and the annual change for each. Each calculation is for a specific
location, elevation and date or range of dates. The calculated result can be obtained
from two separate geomagnetic models, the IGRF11 or the WMM2010. Declination is calculated
using the current World Magnetic Model (WMM) or International Geomagnetic Reference
Field (IGRF) model. While results are typically accurate to 30 minutes of arc, users
should be aware that several environmental factors can cause disturbances in the magnetic
Cite this dataset when used as a source.
|Search and Download
- HTML Format (Version: 1)
- XML Format (Version: 1)
- CSV Format (Version: 1)
||DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department
| Point of Contact
||NGDC Geomagnetic Modeling Team
DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department
Documentation links not available.
Publisher information not available.
|Data Presentation Form:
|Dataset Progress Status
|Data Update Frequency:
|| As needed
||The purpose of the calculators is to deliver trusted magnetic field values - past,
present, and near future - to aid the public as well as the scientific community in
proper navigation, positioning, and other operational and research magnetic field
| Use Limitations
- While every effort has been made to ensure that these data are accurate and reliable
within the limits of the current state of the art, NOAA cannot assume liability for
any damages caused by any errors or omissions in the data, nor as a result of the
failure of the data to function on a particular system. NOAA makes no warranty, expressed
or implied, nor does the fact of distribution constitute such a warranty.
- Produced by the NOAA National Geophysical Data Center. Not subject to copyright protection
within the United States.
||1900-01-01 to 2014-12-31
|Spatial Reference System:
|Spatial Bounding Box Coordinates:
|Spatial Coverage Map:
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geomagnetism > Magnetic Field
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geomagnetism > Magnetic Intensity
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geomagnetism > Magnetic Declination
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geomagnetism > Magnetic Inclination
- DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department
- Geographic Region > Global
| Use Constraints
|| No constraint information available
The US/UK World Magnetic Model for 2010-2015
International Geomagnetic Reference Field 11
|| Lineage statement not available.
| Processing Steps
- User input of area of interest and time for desired data grid into a web interface.
- User data is sent via HTTP request to a java servelet hosted on a local NGDC server.
This checks that all of the necessary information to run the model executable correctly
is present and in the correct format.
- NGDC server accesses a C executable, in this case the IGRF executable, and inputs
the user data and runs the executable to obtain desired output parameters in XML format.
- The XML created by the executable is sent back to NGDC server and input into the Java
servelet which reformats the output into the format designated by the user at the
begining of the process. This reformatted information is returned to the User's webpage.
Metadata Last Modified: 2014-05-29
For questions about the information on this page, please email: Brian.Meyer@noaa.gov