Magnetic Field Grid Calculator
The Magnetic Field Properties Calculator will computes the estimated values of Earth's
magnetic field(declination, inclination, vertical component, northerly component,
easterly component, horizontal intensity, or total intensity), for a specific location,
elevation and date or range of dates based on the current International Geomagnetic
Reference Field (IGRF). The calculated result is a grid that contains the calculated
component and the annual change of the component over the geographical area specified.
WDeclination is calculated using the current World Magnetic Model (WMM) or International
Geomagnetic Reference Field (IGRF) model. While results are typically accurate to
30 minutes of arc, users should be aware that several environmental factors can cause
disturbances in the magnetic field.
Cite this dataset when used as a source.
|Search and Download
- XML Format (Version: 1)
- CSV Format (Version: 1)
||DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department
| Point of Contact
||NGDC Geomagnetic Modeling Team
DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department
Documentation links not available.
Publisher information not available.
|Data Presentation Form:
|Dataset Progress Status
|Data Update Frequency:
|| As needed
||The purpose of the calculators is to deliver trusted magnetic field values - past,
present, and near future - to aid the public as well as the scientific community in
proper navigation, positioning, and other operational and research magnetic field
| Use Limitations
- While every effort has been made to ensure that these data are accurate and reliable
within the limits of the current state of the art, NOAA cannot assume liability for
any damages caused by any errors or omissions in the data, nor as a result of the
failure of the data to function on a particular system. NOAA makes no warranty, expressed
or implied, nor does the fact of distribution constitute such a warranty.
- Produced by the NOAA National Geophysical Data Center. Not subject to copyright protection
within the United States.
||1900-01-01 to 2014-12-31
|Spatial Reference System:
|Spatial Bounding Box Coordinates:
|Spatial Coverage Map:
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geomagnetism > Magnetic Field
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geomagnetism > Magnetic Intensity
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geomagnetism > Magnetic Declination
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Geomagnetism > Magnetic Inclination
- DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department
- Geographic Region > Global
| Use Constraints
|| No constraint information available
International Geomagnetic Reference Field 11
|| Lineage statement not available.
| Processing Steps
- User input of area of interest and time for desired data grid into a web interface.
- User data is sent via HTTP request to a java servelet hosted on a local NGDC server.
This checks that all of the necessary information to run the model executable correctly
is present and in the correct format.
- NGDC server accesses a C executable, in this case the IGRF executable, and inputs
the user data and runs the executable to obtain desired output parameters in XML format.
- The XML created by the executable is sent back to NGDC server and input into the Java
servelet which reformats the output into the format designated by the user at the
begining of the process. This reformatted information is returned to the User's webpage.
Metadata Last Modified: 2014-05-29
For questions about the information on this page, please email: Brian.Meyer@noaa.gov