United States Earthquake Intensity Database, 1638-1985
Map of earthquake intensity locations.
The United States Earthquake Intensity Database is a collection of damage and felt
reports for over 23,000 U.S. earthquakes from 1638-1985. The majority of intensities
are for U.S. cities, but there are also a few earthquakes and intensities for Panama
(1925-1975), the Philippines (1926-1937), and Mexico (1887-1981). The data were compiled
from various publications, newspaper reports, and special catalogs. The annual serial
"United States Earthquakes," is the principal data source and provides 90 percent
of the observations. Most records in the file contain the date and time of occurrence
and location of the earthquake, magnitude, focal depth, two-digit state code, name
and coordinates of observing city or town, the observed intensity at each town, and
the distance from city (or locality) to epicenter. The file consists of more than
150,000 earthquake intensity observations. The data file serves as an important information
source for the preparation of intensity histories that are useful for environmental
and hazard impact statements. The file is static and is no longer being updated.
Cite this dataset when used as a source.
|Search and Download
United States Earthquake Intensity Database Search
Use this form to search the U.S. Earthquake Intensity Database collection of intensities
for over 23,000 U.S. earthquakes. The digital database contains information regarding
epicentral coordinates, magnitudes, focal depths, names and coordinates of reporting
cities (or localities), reported intensities, and the distance from city (or locality)
to epicenter. The file is static and is no longer being updated.
||DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department
| Point of Contact
DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department
Documentation links not available.
Publisher information not available.
|Dataset Progress Status
|Data Update Frequency:
|| Not planned
||Environmental and hazard impact studies, Research
| Use Limitations
- Produced by the NOAA National Geophysical Data Center. Not subject to copyright protection
within the United States.
- While every effort has been made to ensure that these data are accurate and reliable
within the limits of the current state of the art, NOAA cannot assume liability for
any damages caused by any errors or omissions in the data, nor as a result of the
failure of the data to function on a particular system. NOAA makes no warranty, expressed
or implied, nor does the fact of distribution constitute such a warranty.
||1638-06-11 to 1985-12-31
|Spatial Bounding Box Coordinates:
|Spatial Coverage Map:
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Seismology > Earthquake Occurrences
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Seismology > Earthquake Dynamics
- EARTH SCIENCE > Solid Earth > Tectonics > Continental Tectonics
- INFOTERRA > Disasters > Catastrophic phenomena > Earthquakes
- INFOTERRA > Lithosphere > Seismic activity > Seismic activity
- INFOTERRA > Lithosphere > Seismic monitoring > Seismic monitoring
- WDS, BOULDER > World Data Service for Geophysics, Boulder
- DOC/NOAA/NESDIS/NGDC > National Geophysical Data Center, NESDIS, NOAA, U.S. Department
| Use Constraints
|| No constraint information available
|| Lineage statement not available.
Metadata Last Modified: 2014-04-01
For questions about the information on this page, please email: Paula.Dunbar@noaa.gov