Metadata Usage Statistics
Web Server Log
This covers pages with /metadata/ and /nmmr/ URLs. These are combined into a single set of summary statistics, since both types of URLs are used for viewing and authoring metadata, and there is much interlinking between them.
The NGDC web site supports metadata authoring and distribution for metadata at NGDC, NCDC, NOS and NSIDC, and CLASS (NESDIS Products). Note that NODC has a completely separate website for their metadata.
Our metadata is also "harvested" (copied and transformed) into other sites, such as Geospatial One-Stop (GOS), GCMD, CLASS. We've put in requests to them for their usage statistics, as those could represent much wider usage of our metadata.
- Total Pages: All pages viewed; includes the NMMR, web pages about metadata in general, and individual metadata records
- Record Views: Views of metadata records for individual datasets, either as HTML, FAQ, Text, or other transformation
- Record Downloads: Downloads of metadata records as raw XML
- Record Edits: Edits of metadata records -- an indication of metadata management activity within NGDC/NCDC/NOS
- Unique Hosts: Unique IP addresses; a rough indicator of the number of different people who viewed pages this month.
- *November was the transition to new web servers, pinnacle and zenith, and did not have reliable log files. Numbers may have been inflated by two incidents of out-of-control wget sweeps by British Antarctic Survey and a Russian WDC.
|Usage||Total Pages||Record Views||Record Downloads||Record Edits||Unique Hosts|
- Record Views = Request(fgdc.jsp + xml-to-text.jsp + viewRecord.do) for nmmr/ plus nmmrview/
- Record Downloads = Directory(metadata/published/ - published/z39logs/)
- Record Edits = Request(editSubmit.do)
Web log reports produced with Analog 6.0 (combining both production servers):
Note that there was a transition from peak/spire to pinnacle/zenith in mid Nov, and logs were unreliable for weeks afterwards.
Mar 2009 web-based metadata usage
Feb 2009 web-based metadata usage
Jan 2009 web-based metadata usage
Dec 2008 web-based metadata usage
Nov 2008 web-based metadata usage
Oct 2008 web-based metadata usage
Sep 2008 web-based metadata usage
Aug 2008 web-based metadata usage
Jul 2008 web-based metadata usage
Jun 2008 web-based metadata usage
May 2008 web-based metadata usage
Apr 2008 web-based metadata usage
Mar 2008 web-based metadata usage
Feb 2008 web-based metadata usage
Jan 2008 web-based metadata usage
Dec 2007 web-based metadata usage
Nov 2007 web-based metadata usage
Oct 2007 web-based metadata usage
Sept 2007 web-based metadata usage
August 2007 web-based metadata usage
July 2007 web-based metadata usage
June 2007 web-based metadata usage
May 2007 web-based metadata usage
April 2007 web-based metadata usage
As a point of comparison, see the web log statistics for the entire NGDC web site.
An Analog configuration similar to the new "Corrected" reports at the above link was used, reporting only actual page hits, not images and other auxiliary files. Hits from the local machines (panther, ridge, harrylap, metadata1, peak, spire) were excluded, since they generate internal utility/housekeeping hits, such as LinkChecker, PageWatcher and WebInspect.
metadata1 logs]$ analog6 -G +g./published200809.cfg
Some of the NMMR record sets have been made available via the Z39.50 protocol. This table shows the weekly Z39.50 hits since 2/5/06.
The Z39.50 protocol is used by Geospatial One-Stop (GOS) to harvest our metadata, and by FGDC Clearinghouse to search our metadata.