Oxygen and Text Formatting
These are some of the solutions I've come up with so far to deal with this - please add your own method if you find another way!
Remove hard wrapping
- Select Options > Preferences > Format and set up like the image on the right Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
- uncheck 'Hard Line Wrap'
- check 'Format and indent the document on open'
- set 'Line width' to a large number (I like 500)
- In same Dialogue box got to Format > XML and set up like image on right Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
- check 'Preserve text as is'
- Selection Options > Preferences > Text
- Check 'Line Wrap' box
In my experience, these preferences will NOT automatically fix the formatting. You may have to do one or all of the following:
- From Project panel, right click on project folder, select 'Open All Files' Error creating thumbnail: Unable to save thumbnail to destination
- Because you previously checked 'Format and indent the document on open' in Preference, this automatically "pretty prints" all of the XML files
- This helps with find/replace functions
- However, it does not get rid of carriage returns within an element
- You must save each file (ctrl+w, ctrl+s, repeat)
Remove unwanted returns and tabs for entire document
- ctrl+j each file
- This joins all xml tags and text in the file( and makes it really really hard to read)
- Select 'pretty print' button
- This combo will delete ALL extra tabs and returns within elements
- I think this is made possible by the 'Preserve text as is' option...
Remove unwanted returns and tabs for just one field
- in file, select element and ctrl+j